Skip to content

Install Oracle RAC 11g R2 in VMWare – 3 nodes

I have just put together some videos to demonstrate installing Oracle RAC 11g R2 successfully in VMWare, simulating 3 separate nodes. I will be adding a 4th node in VMWare to demonstrate how to add (and later remove) nodes and RAC instances in open databases.

These videos show how viable it can be to use VMWare to build a test RAC enviroment, even with the latest version, 11g R2, despite the system requirements espoused by Oracle. I take great pains to build the VMs and prep them for installation success, and I will later document all these processes and possibly create videos of the process too.

Please enjoy and let me know what you think!

Video 1 shows Grid Infrastructure installing on 3 VMWare nodes
Video 2 was destroyed when Camtasia decided to crash and leave no temp files behind; it was the installation of 11g R2 Database in RAC
Video 3 shows DBCA starting up
Video 4 shows 3 instances of the RAC database up and kicking

11 Comments

1. Hans Forbrich wrote:

Nice stuff Eric. And congrats on joining the Blogoshere

I’ve highlighted you new site on my blog, and will see whether some of the Oracle Aggregators will include it.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 at 6:07 pm | Permalink
  2. Suneet wrote:

Great work!

Can I get access to Video 2 again? Are you going to redo it since was it was destroyed.

Suneet.

Sunday, October 11, 2009 at 11:01 am | Permalink
  3. eric wrote:

I am going to work on a new series of videos that starts from scratch through to completion… following a structured architecture so it’s easy to search for what you need to see.

Monday, October 12, 2009 at 1:43 pm | Permalink
  4. karen wrote:

do you recomend 3 node cluster vs 7 nodes cluster what’s the gain of having 7 nodes instead 3 nodes?

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 9:01 am | Permalink
  5. LV wrote:

Thanks for sharing your videos. Your videos were simple and informative and it motivates me to learn more about oracle products.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Permalink
  6. ravi wrote:

Hi Eric,

Can u send me the links of all the 11gR2 RAC videos?

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Permalink
  7. M REHAN TAYYAB wrote:

Hi Eric,

Hope you will be fine. Please do some thing to load Video2 :the installation of 11g R2 Database in RAC. Because Video 2 is very important for new bies like us.
    It will be a great help .
    Regards

Thursday, October 14, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Permalink
  8. Jack wrote:

Great job, Eric!
    two questions.
    1. What do I need to set up the VMWARE? How about setup of the shared disks? Is it free ware? I think you installed VMWARE Fusion, correct?
    2. Is Video 2 still available?

Thanks.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Permalink
  9. jean wrote:

Hello there,

I get
    ins-41102
    cause – None of the network interface were

I thought my vm network was sufficient. Why is not that so?

What can I do to avoid ending my office public network?

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink
  10. Excellent posts, Eric. I enjoyed them very much. I went a step further and made them interactive by building a few 11gR2 RAC simulators myself at http://vgrigorian.com.
    Thanks.
    Vladimir Grigorian.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 8:33 am | Permalink
  11. Aldo wrote:

Thanks for sharing the videos. A few quick questions. How did you configure the OS? That is, what filesystems did you use for the nodes, any kernel parameter tuning, any users or tweaks made to the operative system before installing the Oracle stuff? Does it apply to Oracle Linux and RHEL? Thanks for your time.

Saturday, August 6, 2011 at 5:00 am | Permalink

One Trackback/Pingback

1. [...] Eric (masterschema)-Install Oracle RAC 11g R2 in VMWare – 3 nodes [...]