Skip to content

Extending RAC 11gR2 to 4th node

I put together a follow-up video to the 3-node install where I add a 4th node of RAC 11gR2 in VMWare successfully, including extending the database to a total 4 instances.

In less than 10 minutes of video, you will see the cloning of the Grid Infrastructure 11gR2 home, cloning of the Database 11gR2 home, and creation of a 4th instance all running in VMWare.

addNode.sh has changed slightly; it no longer seems to allow an interactive Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) run.

I hope you enjoy this video!

6 Comments

1. Simon Lai wrote:

Thank you for your effort. Ops, China has block the your tube. May be I can find a hole tomarrow, anyway thank you for the your tube.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 7:36 am | Permalink
  2. Simon Lai wrote:

as your tips on forum, I can use command line to create another VIP for other oracle db. it seems that GUI can not do everything. I will check it out.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 7:38 am | Permalink
  3. Simon Lai wrote:

In fact , I will have two power Sun machines(may be M9000) for 36 RACs(2 nodes / RAC). M9000 just support 24 hard Domains, so Some small size RACs have to share CRS, user access RAC using self VIP. so I need some VIP on same Node. I am wondering how voting or OCR can support so many RAC. let say if Node1 of Oracle RAC1 head-break, how about RAC2 on Node1?

Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 7:49 am | Permalink
  4. Simon Lai wrote:

11g CRS have good user role, admin can grant some role to other oracle, plz allow me add 3 questions:
    1. if I setup two rac on same CRS, can I use diffent oracle user, such as oracle1 and oracle2.
    2. if oracle 10g support user role, so that I can grant some CRS prilege to other user.
    3. Can I use root to setup CRS, usually I use oracle to setup CRS, but now I have oracle1 ,oralcle2 ,oracle3 …

Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 8:03 am | Permalink
  5. Bruce wrote:

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 7:46 am | Permalink
  6. Jack wrote:

Very nice Demo. Thumb up!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Permalink